Thursday, June 29, 2023

Latch On To The Affirmative

By Miss Kubelik

"In order to get beyond racism, we must first take account of race. There is no other way." Justice Harry Blackmun wrote those words in 1978, in the decision that was overturned today by the Trumpy Supreme Court. Which means that between affirmative action and Roe, we cats will claw the eyes out of anyone who didn't bother to vote for either Al Gore in 2000 or Hillary Clinton in 2016.

On the other hand, as despicable as the Court has turned out to be, they did turn in some interesting decisions this session, particularly in Moore v. Harper. Democracy dodged a bullet with that one, and Louisiana, Alabama and North Carolina must now redraw their Congressional districts.

This is the good news. When the nation goes haywire, the only thing we can do to fix things is to get the hell out to vote. So it's a bit of a comfort to know that the antidemocratic idiots on SCOTUS haven't been able to tamper more than they already have with the very remedy to the havoc they're wreaking on our lives.

As the President told his Cabinet discussed in the movie "Lincoln," what reins in a dictator who doesn't think he's susceptible to the law? "Well, the people do that, I suppose," Lincoln said. "I signed the Emancipation Proclamation a year and half before my second election. I felt I was within my power to do it. However, I also felt that I might be wrong about that. I knew the people would tell me. I gave 'em a year and half to think about it. And they re-elected me."

We have our marching orders for 2024. Re-elect Biden-Harris, hold the Senate and get back the House. Then, we can fix things. We cats PURR.

No comments: