Friday, December 9, 2016

Another Harry Who Always Gave 'Em Hell

By Sniffles

We cats have to say that we're going to miss The Fightin' Mormon.

Harry Reid, indeed, was not cut out for the media age, what with cable TV and that Twitter thing and whatever-streamin' on the Interwebs. But he was one wily Senate leader who always had the interests of the people at heart. It will be interesting to see how history treats him.

But we believe our nickname for him says it all. Harry Reid was, unfailingly, the kind of guy who brought a gun to a knife fight.

One of the memories he spoke about in his Senate farewell was how, as a youth, he had scraped together $250 to buy his mother some dentures. The richest dentist in town sniffed at him: How could a kid like Harry afford his services?

"He said, I don’t do credit here," Reid said. "He insulted me. So I went to Dr. Marshall, of Henderson, and bought my mother some teeth. It changed my mother’s life. My mother had teeth."

That's what we love about Harry: He had teeth. And he bit — a lot.

Vaya con Dios, HR. We cats salute you, and we PURR.

No comments: